Attempt the following before reaching out to your VPN provider for further support:
- Start the VPN. Ensure it is connected BEFORE doing anything else.
- Now tap Settings > Network & Internet > VPN
- Tap the Settings Icon of your VPN (the little gear to the right of the name of the VPN).
- Tap Always-on VPN.
- Tap the Block connections without VPN.
- Sometimes this restarts the VPN. If it doesn't, turn it off manually.
- Restart the VPN. If it hangs (like mine sometimes does) choose another temporary region. 99% this clears the initially stall/disconnect form the Internet
- Reconnect to your region of choice.
- Verify DNS leaks by testing at dnsleaktest.com